The government has launched their ‘Carbon Monoxide Safe 4 Summer’ campaign, which has been put in place to highlight how dangerous carbon monoxide can be.
As part of this initiative, the government are looking to educate the sector on the dangers, particularly with new and/or short-let landlords.
What is carbon monoxide?
Incomplete combustion (when the fuel does not burn fully) can cause formation of odourless, colourless gas. This gas is carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide can displace oxygen in the human body and lead to poisoning. Because it does not smell and you cannot see it, it can be very difficult to detect.
Knowing the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning
Tension headaches are the most common symptom, however, other indicators of carbon monoxide poisoning may include: dizziness, feeling and being sick, tiredness and confusion, stomach pain, shortness of breath, and difficulty breathing.
As these are relatively common symptoms, people may get them for any number of reasons, and this can make spotting carbon monoxide poisoning very difficult – especially at low-level exposure.
What measures can you take to keep safe?
If you have fuel-burning appliances, a fireplace, or an attached garage, you should look to install carbon monoxide detectors.
- Check or change batteries in carbon monoxide detectors every six months.
- Keep vents and flues free of debris.
- Never leave the engine running in a vehicle parked in an enclosed or partially enclosed space, such as a garage.
- Ensure any fireplaces or fuel-burning appliances are fitted by a professional.
- At least once a year, have a qualified professional inspect your fuel-burning devices to make sure they continue to operate properly.
Learn more about carbon monoxide poisoning here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/carbon-monoxide-poisoning/
For advice on renting out your property, contact us today.